Edward Zammit Lewis visits the World Travel Market in London
While the number of tourists who visited Southern Europe and the Mediterranean region this year increased by 8% from last year, the number of tourists who visited Malta increased by 9.4% in the same period, Tourism Minister Edward Zammit Lewis said. These are according to figures from the United Nations World Tourist Organisation.
Travel and airline operators are optimistic that tourist figures will continue to increase next year, Tourist Minister Edward Zammit Lewis said.
Speaking at the World Travel Market in London, Zammit Lewis said that travel and airline operators are optimistic that tourist figures will continue to increase next year.
“However, we must continue to explore means through which we can improve our touristic products,” Zammit Lewis said. “The Ministry for Tourism and the Malta Tourism Authority are working on a number of initiatives to incentivize investment in tourism, both by local operators and by the government.”
The World Travel Market opened on Monday. Malta is being represented by Zammit Lewis, along with a delegation from the Ministry of Tourism composed of permanent secretary Mario Rodgers, Malta Tourismy Authority chairperson and CEO Gavin Gulia and Paul Bugeja, and Air Malta chairperson Maria Micallef.